If you click on my affiliate links and make a purchase, I will receive compensation, free of charge. There is no better way to obtain delicious, convenient, and sustainable proteins than by visiting Portugal or Spain, where mackerel, sardines, octopus, and many others are packed in cans since the 19th century. When compared with sardines and anchovies, the taste of canned mackerel is more mild and rich.
Adding canned mackerel to your snack rotation is a great idea if you love to fish. It is really a matter of which mackerel to buy, though. Since so many companies sell this delicious fish, choosing the best one is quite difficult. We’ve reviewed some of the best-canned mackerel products below in order to help you out.
Editor’s Pick: Top 5 Best Canned Mackerel
Top 20 Best Canned Mackerel Review
1. BUMBLE BEE CHUB MACKEREL
You will not find a product better than BUMBLEBEE 15 Ounce Chub Mackerel if you are looking for fresh, delicious canned mackerel. Several people have liked this canned mackerel, so it’s not just one person. Despite its low price, this fish is quite tasty; a 12-can pack only costs about $20, which is very reasonable.
A 15-ounce BUMBLE BEE Chub Mackerel weighs about 13.65 pounds and has dimensions of 11.93 x 9.21 x 5 inches. Chub mackerel, salt, and water are among the premium ingredients in this product. Furthermore, it has a high protein content and is gluten-free. This fish will be a great keto snack or meal if you follow a paleo or keto diet. Moreover, you can use this mackerel to make casseroles and other hot dishes.
- A high-protein food
- Product that is affordable
- High-Quality Ingredients
2. CHICKEN OF THE SEA JACK MACKEREL
Chicken of the Sea 15 Oz Jack Mackerel is the second item on our list. This one is not the second-best, but it has the advantage of being more inexpensive and high-quality than the one above. Up to 8 grams of protein are contained in one serving of this product. Fresh mackerel, salt, and water are used to make it.
Chicken of the Sea 15 Oz Jack Mackerel is packaged in a package with dimensions of 0.5 x 0.39 x 0.38 inches and a weight of 15.04 ounces. Omega-3 fatty acids are abundant in this product, which is MSC certified. Moreover, this one has many nutritional benefits; it protects joints, improves vision, enhances sleep, among others. It is an easy, fast, healthy, and convenient dish that can be made at any time.
- A good source of omega-3 fatty acids
- Healthy and convenient meal
- Protein-rich food
- MSC certified professional
3. MW POLAR MACKEREL
If you want to complete a list of canned fishes, you must include at least one MW Polar product. MW Polar fish are quite delicious and fresh, as you probably know from eating other MW Polar fish. There is a price difference of up to $41 between 12 cans of MW Polar Mackerel, but its high quality makes it worth it. Mackerel, salt, and water are used to make this product.
The MW Polar Mackerel measures 12.09 by 9.17 by 4.84 inches and weighs 14.37 pounds.
The product has a slightly sweet flavor and a firm texture. Aside from that, it is an excellent source of proteins, calcium, and omega-3 fatty acids. Additionally, MW Polar provides a recipe for these tasty dishes, so that you can be more creative in the kitchen.
- Fish Caught from the Wild
- Snack on a Keto diet
- Flavor and texture are firm
4. KING OSCAR MEDITERRANEAN STYLE MACKEREL
The non-GMO and BPA-free products of King Oscar are well known. There are different flavors of mackerel available from this brand, such as Jalapeno, Olive Oil, and Mediterranean Style. A pack of 12 Mediterranean-style cans costs up to $27 and is quite economical. Make this one with sliced black and green olives, olive oil, and boneless and skinless mackerel.
There are 13.43 x 4.61 x 2.56 inches in dimensions and 4.05 pounds in weight with King Oscar Mediterranean Style Mackerel. It has a better texture, a milder flavor, superior quality, and juicier fillets than mackerel caught from the North Atlantic. Low in carbs, gluten-free, non-GMO, and high in calcium, omega-3, and iron, this superfood is also low in carbs, gluten-free, and non-GMO. The package is easy-peel, BPA-NI certified, and recyclable.
- Can with simple pull tabs
- Ingredients of high quality
- Contains a lot of protein
- A skinless and boneless creature
5. CROWN PRINCE MACKEREL
The final species is Crown Prince, a 15-ounce mackerel. Paleo-certified, this product contains an omega-3 amount of up to 5 milligrams per serving. Its high quality and nutritional value do not detract from its affordability; a pack of twelve, 15-ounce cans runs for approximately $34. The mackerel used in this recipe is fresh and made with premium salt and water.
This 15 Oz Mackerel weighs about 13.58 pounds and measures 17.87 x 14.33 x 4.69 inches. In addition to Omega-3, this fish contains iron, vitamin D, calcium, and protein. The added oils and protein in this product make it a great dog food supplement for dog owners.
- Each serving contains 9 grams of protein
- Choices Economic
- Contains Omega-3 fatty acids
- A Paleo certification
6. Crown Prince Mackerel in Water
The Crown Prince serves whole, juicy mackerel in brine. This mackerel was caught in the wild, and is canned whole, only the head and tail have been removed. Paleo-certified, this fish delivers a whack of Omega-3 fats with a whopping 4955 mg per serving.
Due to the fact that the fish is preserved in brine, most of its flavor remains. This makes it a healthier and tastier choice. Look for bones in the fish since it is preserved whole. Because it is preserved whole, it contains sodium. Nevertheless, its sodium content isn’t very high. For their small fish, the brand generally follows sustainable fishing practices, so it is a better choice.
- A 12-can case (180 ounces total) of 15-ounce cans
- Water packed in bags
- It is Paleo-certified, and it contains 4,955 mg of omega-3 per serving
- Good source of vitamin D and iron; Excellent source of protein and calcium
- Product of China; wild-caught
7. MW Polar Mackerel in Brine
Off the coast of South-east Asia and Germany, polar jack mackerel are wild-caught. Jack mackerel is muddy-looking and darker than other types of fish but offers a delicious and rich flavor. Despite its less-than-appealing appearance, this fish is actually quite tasty. Fish, salt, and water are the only ingredients in the can. By keeping the ingredient list short, the original flavor of the fish is preserved.
Whole fish with bones are contained in the cans. This suggests that the fish has been processed minimally and is therefore a healthy option. However, it contains a considerable amount of liquid. However, the fish can still appear dry. The packaging is not impressive and is easily damaged.
- Contains twelve 15-ounce units (for a total of 180 ounces)
- The flavor is moderately sweet and the texture is firm
- Calcium-rich source
- Ocean-caught, wild fish
8. Season Fillets of Mackerel in Olive Oil
Seasoned mackerel fillets are a good option for those trying to avoid mercury. A brand such as this uses mercury-free Atlantic mackerel. It uses wild-caught fish. There is no BPA in the packaging. The skin and bones of this mackerel are also removable.
These chunky and flavorful fillets are also available frozen. The olive oil they are packed with keeps them healthy instead of bringing them. Despite the olive oil’s moisturizing properties, the original flavor of the meat remains unchanged. Fresh-tasting fish that smells great.
Can foil tops can break easily, which is the only downside. They are difficult to transport and store. However, this ingredient is versatile. Season fillets can be eaten straight from the can. It can also be used in salads and soups by adding some vegetables. A great way to enjoy this fish is after it has been grilled. Give it a shot!
- FEEL THE DIFFERENCE OF PREMIUM
- NATURAL FISH OILS AN EXCELLENT SOURCE
- IMPROVE OUR CONSUME SAFETY
- A WILD CATCH FROM THE SEA
- SUSTAINABILITY IS OUR PRIDE
9. Chicken of the Sea Mackerel Fillet in Soybean Oil
There is a big difference in the packaging of the chicken compared to the sea mackerel fillets. Chicken is packaged in flattened cans. There is less liquid in flat cans than in circular cans. The fish texture is not affected by this lack of liquid. This fish is moist, succulent, and tender. It’s low in sodium and tastes delicious.
A decent amount of fish is served per serving. The fish is largely boneless. It is kept moist and fresh with soybean oil. The oily flavor makes the coating sticky and adds a taste to the fish. The pouches should probably be made easier to open, as this is something the brand should probably work on. Pulling the flap off is nearly impossible.
You could end up spilling oil everywhere if you use brute force. A pair of scissors is the best tool for opening the can. I am also concerned about the sustainability of the brand. The Thai Union Group owns Chicken of the Sea. Despite its controversial and largely unethical fishing practices, this company has been under the radar for a long time.
- A HIGHLY NUTRITIONAL FOOD
- CONVENIENCE, FLAVOR, QUALITY
- A WIDE RANGE OF APPLICATIONS
- DUE TO RESPONSIBILITY CAUGHT
- DUE TO RESPONSIBILITY CAUGHT
10. King Oscar Royal Fillets Mackerel with Jalapeno Peppers
Choose King Oscar mackerel with jalapeno if you are looking for gourmet quality mackerels that will become the highlight of any meal. King Oscar mackerel is an excellent choice that is a delight to the senses. Mackerel is renowned for its tremendous health benefits, and this variety uses the famous North Atlantic variety. The fillets are delicious.
You can easily drain out the olive oil that is packed in the mackerel. It creates an explosion of flavor when it is combined with jalapeno pepper. Jalapeno pepper adds an addictive taste to the dish. It is delicious as a snack or as part of a salad. I also like the packaging. I am not concerned about BPA. They are easy to open with easy-pull tabs.
PURE OLIVE OIL FILLETS OF WILD-CACHED NORTH ATLANTIC MACKEREL WITH REAL SLICED JALAPE*O PEPPERS – Gourmet quality sliced jalape*o peppers in pure olive oil. You’ll enjoy its unique flavor and mild heat. Tuna substitute that’s light, tasty, and tender!
King Oscar has been using small North Atlantic Mackerel since 1902, making their fillets milder, more tender, and of superior quality. Caught by hand with sustainable practices. Individually packaged to ensure the best quality.
SUPERFOOD WITH LOW CARB, ENERGY, PROTEIN, CALCIUM, VITAMIN D, and IRON. Non-GMO, gluten-free, carbohydrate-free, and transfat-free. Available ready-to-eat.
Pack of 12 Skinless & Boneless Mackerel Fillet Cans, 4.05 oz each. CERTIFIED BPA-NI, RECYCLABLE, EASY-PEEL CANS – Made of recyclable aluminum with a no-mess, easy-peel lid that is certified BPA-NI (no BPA used in manufacturing).
11. BUMBLE BEE Chub Mackerel
Get lean protein, flavorful workout fuel, and a spork if you want those sneakers to go far. It’s hard to decide what’s worse: the drive-thru or a meal that has been sitting under the heater. With our delicious tuna and cracker kits, it doesn’t matter what the weather is like. Take advantage of our deliciously versatile, protein-rich tuna for a quick and easy meal without the long wait and outrageous delivery fees.
No blending, cracking, shaking, or baking is required. It contains powerful, lean, muscle-building protein. Besides a handy spork, it is portable and is as convenient as a granola bar. It is an excellent snack. You get fast food without having to go through the drive-thru or pay for delivery. It’s the most affordable (and most effective) superfood. Moreover, it is the tastiest seafood of all.
- Chub Mackerel is similar in size and flavor to a large sardine and is canned by BUMBLEBEE.
- BUMBLE BEE Chub Mackerel, a premium product, comes in a case of 12 15-ounce cans, each with 3-4 mackerel.
- A GREAT KETO FOOD AND KETO Snack: BUMBLE BEE mackerel is gluten-free and high in protein – perfect for keto or paleo diets
- BUMBLE BEE canned mackerel makes a delicious snack or a quick meal – prepare a delicious lunch or dinner using premium BUMBLE BEE mackerel
- Bumble Bee Mackerel makes an excellent addition to hot dishes, such as casseroles
- Mackerel could be an alternative to other canned fish in a variety of forms such as canned herring, canned sardines, smoked herring, pickled herring, kipper snacks, canned tuna, pouches of tuna, canned salmon, pouches of salmon, and other canned seafood, as well as other meats.
12. HAGOROMO Canned Mackerel Saba Kenko Shoyu Aji
To enhance the nutritional value of mackerel, a soy sauce flavor was added. A simple dish or small appetizer can be enjoyed whenever you want it. Perfect for accompanying rice. It can be eaten straight away, but you can also warm it in a microwave for about 1 minute after transferring it to a small bowl.
- A can of Mackerel in Soy Sauce rich in Vitamin E.
- Japan-made product.
- The net weight of this item is 5.64 ounces. Each piece weighs 160 grams.
- Please be aware that all sales are final due to the ongoing pandemic. You are welcome to contact us if you have any questions about the product’s information before making the purchase.
- We appreciate your understanding.
- A serving size of 12 cans (80g) contains 120 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 270 milligrams of sodium, 7 grams of carbohydrate, 15 grams of protein, 15 mg of vitamin D, 6% of iron, and 6% of potassium.
13. Nissui Saba Misoni – Canned Mackerel in Soybean Paste
The perfect canned meal for on-the-go eating. Allergen Information: Contains Fish, Soybean, Wheat. Store away from direct sunlight and high temperatures.
- Marinated in soybean paste, this mackerel is called saba fish. To make a traditional Japanese meal, open the can and serve with rice and vegetables.
- The net weight of this box is 6.7 ounces. There are ten cans in this box.
- Thailand-made product. Available in limited quantities.
- ALLERGEN INFORMATION: Contains wheat, soybeans, and fish.
14. Dongwon, Canned Mackerel Pike
The product is sterilized so anyone can enjoy its fish taste, even if it contains bones and nutrients. Fish caught by Dongwon’s fishing vessels (and prepared in hygienic conditions with excellent technology). Soy sauce, other seasonings, kimchi stews, and spicy fish stews are all good uses for it.
- Even with its fishbone and nutrition, this product is sterilized to ensure everyone can enjoy its fish flavor.
- This product is made with fresh fish caught by Dongwon’s fishing vessels (which are equipped with advanced technology and hygienic facilities).
- A spicy fish stew, kimchi stew, or other food boiled down in soy sauce or other seasoning is to be preferred.
15. Comur Gourmet from Portugal – canned Mackerel Fillets in Olive Oil
The Comur Gourmet brand is the most prestigious brand of canned fish-based in Aveiro’s – Murtosa and has long been known as the “Rolls Royce” of Portuguese canned fish brands. Comur, founded in 1942, continues to grow and sets the highest standards of quality and excellence.
Sardines are actually the company’s most sought-after product, but its canned eels are particularly famous. It is also known for having the most exquisite species of fish produced in cans. * A superfood that boosts energy and is rich in oil and highly recommended for a healthy diet.
Comer’s filleted mackerel in olive oil gives you plenty of reasons to enjoy its intense flavor because it is very versatile. The splendor of the best sardine, as well as the finest olive oil in the world, is contained in this tin.
- A company called Comur Gourmet, Lagusás da Murtosa, S.A., in the Portuguese Industrial Zone in Murtosa
- Cans of olive oil-packed mackerel fillets
- (3 cans) – 4,93 ounces / 140 grams
- Produced in Portugal – Hand-packed
16. Nissui Canned Mackerel in Soy Sauce
- A can of Mackerel in Soy Sauce weighs 6.7 ounces
- Pack of 10
- Thailand-made product
17. Tricana Ticana Portugal – Gourmet Canned Mackerel fillet in olive oil and oregano
Mackerel fillets are preserved in curry sauce to give it a distinct flavor. The following sizes are available: 4.23 oz / 120 g (Pack of 5 cans) * Gourmet tin of macaw fillets with olive oil and oregano (Pack of 5 cans). The quality of the fillets is excellent.
They come with mackerel, curry sauce, and salt. This food contains the following nutrients (per 100g): Calories: 195 kcal/818kJ; Protein: 24.6g; Carbohydrates: 0g; Fat: 10.2g.
- The Ticana brand, owned by Conserveira de Lisboa, Lda, since 1942
- Fillet of Mackerel in olive oil and oregano in gourmet cans
- Pack of 5 cans measuring 4.23oz / 120gr
- The product is made in Portugal
- The following ingredients are used to prepare this dish: 75 percent pureed Mackerel in olive oil, salt, and oregano
18. Ticana Portugal – Gourmet Canned Mackerel Roe in Pure Olive Oil
Canned Mackerel Roe in Pure Olive Oil – 4.23oz / 120gr (Pack of 5 cans) from Ticana Portugal. In olive oil preserved Mackerel roe or eggs. This is a delicious, simple treat. Weight: 120 grams. Olive oil, Mackerel roe/Eggs, spices, and salt are the main ingredients.
- The Ticana brand, owned by Conserveira de Lisboa, Lda, since 1942
- Pure Olive Oil Canned Mackerel Roe
- The package includes five cans of 4.23 oz / 120 gr each
- The product is made in Portugal
19. Raincoast Trading | Wild Caught Canned Salmon
We have been selling wild seafood products since 1995 at Raincoast Trading. The company, located in Vancouver on the west coast of Canada, specializes in sustainable-harvested, gourmet canned seafood. He had a legitimate concern for fish and their habitat as the original founder of Raincoast Trading.
Having been raised in a fishing family for four generations, Mike Wick was taught the importance of environmental stewardship very early on in his life. A family-owned and operated business located in Nanaimo, British Columbia, St. Jeans Cannery and Smokehouse acquired Raincoast Trading in January 2013 2013 2013; Raincoast has been providing high-quality smoking, hand packing, and canning on the West Coast for 50 years.
The cannery serves the province’s recreational fishing industry and is Canada’s only tuna-processing cannery. St. Jean’s Cannery preserves the quality of its fish using special techniques not found in other canneries. In order to preserve the fish’s natural oils, tuna is filleted off the bone and packed raw into the cans. Regular tuna is usually cooked twice and drained.
When catching, processing, and packaging its seafood, Raincoast Trading adheres to the highest sustainability standards. The company’s seafood is single-cooked and packed in natural fish oils, which results in a rich flavor and extra nutrition rarely found in canned seafood.
- Wild salmon sourced from the Pacific Northwest is responsibly sourced by Raincoast Trading. We are dedicated to preserving the marine ecosystems of the world. Everything we sell at Raincoast Trading is 100% traceable.
- The Omega 3 fatty acids present in fish make it a healthy protein. Moreover, they contribute to brain development and heart health. Salmon is an excellent source of protein, is keto-friendly, paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
- All of our salmon products are all-natural and delicious. No bleaching or precooking, no added oil or water. The fish just tastes great.
- NO DRAIN SALMON: Since our canned salmon contains no oil or water, there is no need to drain it. Enjoy our delicious tuna wherever you are with our BPA-free cans. The perfect choice for lunches and snacks at home, in the office or at school.
- CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE SALMON: Recommended by OceanWise as a sustainable seafood choice.
20. Old Riga Kosher Atlantic Mackerel in Oil
Kosher Certified Rabbi Lazar Product Of Latvia Old Riga Atlantic Mackerel in Oil Three 240g Cans Per Order Convenient Easy Open Pull Top Can. Contains sliced Mackerel with canola oil and salt. Although we make every effort to ensure that product information is accurate, manufacturers occasionally change their ingredient lists.
We may provide more and/or different information on our product packaging and materials than is shown on our Web site. Before using or consuming a product, we recommend that you always read labels, warnings, and directions.
The manufacturer can provide more information. Site content is for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed healthcare professional.
- Oil-stained Atlantic Mackerel from Old Riga
- Each order contains three 240g cans
- The Rabbi Lazar Kosher Certification
- A Latvian product
- Pull top cans are easy to open and convenient to carry
Canned Mackerel – Heart-Healthy Food With Omega 3 Fatty Acids
When it comes to health aficionados, canned mackerel is a great choice. Which features should you look for when shopping for it? Here are some tips:
What Is Canned Mackerel?
Mackerel fish can be found in canned form, as you may have guessed. Known for its omega-3 fatty acid content, this oily and small fish is a great source of omega-3s. They are also low in mercury, which makes them the most popular choice among health-conscious people. The canned form of this fish is also a versatile and healthy staple.
What Does Canned Mackerel Taste Like?
Cans of mackerel contain an abundance of savory umami goodness. The flavor is somewhat milder, although it is richer and milder than that of anchovies and sardines. It is known that fresh mackerel tastes like tuna and salmon when it’s fresh. This type of fish is also known for its sweet taste.
How To Make Canned Mackerel Taste Good?
Cans of canned mackerel tinned in brine can be eaten straight from the can. The product is now available in a variety of sizes and even can be found in varied canning liquids. In order to improve the taste of your canned goods, you can buy cans that use a different canning liquid.
Just because you do not like the taste, do not stop using just because you tried one. You may want to consider trying a pack of mackerel that was canned using a different liquid. You and your family will reap many benefits from this fish since it has a high nutritional profile.
When serving canned mackerel with bread slices, toasted butter, flavored salts and savory & sweet jam, you can make it taste better, just like other types of tinned fish. Adding fresh parsley will make it taste better.
What Features Should You Consider When Buying Canned Mackerel?
To make the canned mackerel even healthier, consider the following features:
- ORIGIN AND INGREDIENTS
A can of mackerel’s origin can significantly affect its quality. Atlantic Ocean fisheries produce most of the world’s highest-quality mackerel. Producers add some additional ingredients to preserve mackerel’s freshness in addition to fish. Some of the ingredients could be salt, water, oil, etc. Also, don’t forget to check out our articles about canned anchovies, canned clams, and canned crab meat if you enjoy seafood.
- NUTRITIONAL VALUE
Are you starting a healthy diet and wondering what kind of health benefits you can get from canned mackerel? A freshly caught mackerel is a great source of proteins, calories, sodium, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Make sure your chosen products are fresh and do not contain any preservatives or chemicals so that they retain all of their nutritional value. Mackerel is an ideal source of protein, containing 19 grams per 100 grams of serving.
Preservatives should not be added to your chosen product, as mentioned above. Be sure that you properly seal the can so that your mackerels don’t spoil. As long as the container is BPA-free, it doesn’t matter what kind of material was used to make it. You can learn more about fish by reading our articles about how to defrost fish? Do fish sauces spoil?
A budget is one of the most important factors to consider when shopping online. A canned mackerel that leaves you broke is the last thing you want. It should not cost more than $50 for 150 ounces of Atlantic mackerel in a can. It’s a rational decision to spend some extra money if your trusted supplier provides fresh fish without preservatives.
- No added salt:
The canning process typically uses salt to preserve canned mackerel. It preserves the fish indefinitely. Having said that, it is important to remember that too much salt can be unhealthy. It is therefore a good idea to check whether the pack says “no salt added” before you buy it.
- Healthy oil canning:
Although you can get canned mackerel in oil, it is best to select a tin that was canned using olive oil or soybean oil. Olive oil and soybean oil provide a number of health benefits.
- Boneless and skinless:
When buying canned mackerel, you can find a tin that says boneless and skinless in case you want to consume it easily. The mackerel you would consume would not require too much work to remove the bone and skin and can be added to any dish you like.
How Much Does A Top-Rated Canned Mackerel Cost?
Makrel is available for around $4 in canned form. The only difference between this kind of affordable canned mackerel and the average canned mackerel is the size of the tin. You can, however, get larger cans or a set of many small cans if you need high-end canned mackerel. The price would be around $45. Depending on the size of the tin, the average cost will vary.
Mackerel in canned form is a nutrient-rich food. Besides providing many health benefits, it will also make your family members’ skin glow. Take the right decision for your family, and let them look more attractive.