Dinner plates, cups, and bowls are lifestyle essentials and maybe the first thing couples think of when registering for their wedding. In addition to setting the tone for your table, your dinnerware also reveals a lot about your personal style. Dinnerware for everyday use and formal china may differ, but dining has become more casual and so have our dinner plates.
For everyday meals, you might prefer something more durable and dishwasher-safe, then for formal events, a finer, more delicate set.
Nevertheless, with advancements in technology and more affordable options, it’s also possible to register for a dual-purpose set. Choosing something you love is important since a quality set can last for years. When selecting the dishes that are right for you, you should consider their material, shape, color, pattern, and style. Moreover, they should complement your food, kitchen decor, and overall style.
We’ve rounded up the best in every category, no matter whether you need a sturdy everyday set or a classic, opulent pattern. Even the simplest meals are made special when you sit down to dishes you love. Dinnerware is more than just containers for serving and holding food.
If they are functional, the function depends on what you are serving: Do you have oatmeal for breakfast or do you serve turkey and sides for a big holiday meal? Also, dinnerware sets enhance the ambiance of any occasion, from casual dinner dates to fancy dinners for two. To make things easier for you, we’ve compiled a list of the best dinnerware sets to help you choose.
Editor’s Pick: Top 5 Best China Dinnerware
1. Lenox 6342794 Butterfly Meadow 18-Piece Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B00077AA1A” template=”horizontal”]
Lenox strives to enhance the everyday moments in your life. Bringing a rich history of craftsmanship to modern living, our products are inspired by tradition and designed for today. For over 130 years, we have been improving homes. Our commitment to artistry, quality, and beauty has remained consistent for 100 years, and each piece you buy from Lenox reflects that commitment.
Whatever you’re doing, Lenox is for real moments that last on products designed to last. Whether you’re gathering the family for dinner, snacking on a midnight treat in front of the TV, or hosting friends, Lenox is for living. Butterfly Meadow Dinnerware Set features dragonflies, butterflies, and bumblebees buzzing around a variety of vibrant flowers.
Durable white ceramic porcelain features scalloped edges. Designed to perform well from freezer to oven to table, this classic mix-and-match design is sure to satisfy. An 18-piece dinnerware set that’s microwave and dishwasher safe will make a significant addition to your dinnerware collection.
- Porcelain is a white material
- Safe for dishwashers
- Safe for microwaves
- Originally imported
- Each plate, salad plate, and mug comes with six each
- All-occasion china made of fine china
- Butterfly and floral designs mix and match; Scalloped edges
- The microwave- and dishwasher-safe product can be used from freezer to oven to table
- Serveware, crystal, and flatware coordinate with Butterfly Meadow
2. 10 Strawberry Street Double Line 16 Piece Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B08C773JP7″ template=”horizontal”]
The Double Line collection is sleek, modern, and versatile and is characterized by a subtle, yet sophisticated lining motif. The dishwasher safe and microwave safe collection also comes in a range of colors that can be effortlessly mixed and matched for endless fun, or mixed with other patterns to create an elegant table setting.
- Set contains (4) each of these items: 10.5″ dinner plate, 8.25″ salad plate, 6.25″ cereal bowl, and 3.75″ mug.
- Details of subtle grooves
- The dishware is made of stoneware that can be microwaved and dishwasher
- Four dinner plates, four salad plates, four cereal bowls, and four mugs are included
3. Gibson Elite Embossed Bone China Double Bowl Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B07FK6XVV7″ template=”horizontal”]
Whiteware and bowls go hand in hand in the Gibson Elite 16-Piece Double Bowl set. Its simple elegance and quality bone china make it an excellent choice for a wide variety of table settings ranging from casual dining to formal entertaining. There is a 6-inch and an 8-inch cereal bowl included in the Gibson Elite 16-Piece double Bowl set.
The set also contains a 10-inch dinner bowl. The dinner plate measures 75 inches and the bowl measures 8 inches. The dessert plate measures 25 inches. The items can be washed and microwaved. Bring Gibson Elite style and quality into your home today.
- In the box: Four dessert plates, four dinner bowls, four ten-inch dinner plates, four six-inch cereal bowls for a service for four.
- A beautiful collection of dishes that can be washed in a dishwasher and microwaved
- The strongest ceramic is bone china, which is light but durable. Known for its high whiteness and translucence, this material combines high mechanical and physical strength.
- The dinner bowls included in the set come in handy whether you’re eating pasta, salad, soup, or your entrée. We have created the ideal item that can be used for almost any meal by combining a dinner plate and bowl shape
- This set of high-quality bone china dishes is decorated with an elegant embossed design along the edge, to add a touch of class to your dining table.
- Gibson is a family-owned producer of tabletop and houseware products near Los Angeles, California. With over 40 years of experience in the fashion industry, we have developed a family of brands that are dedicated to style, innovation, and value for all of our consumers.
- Gibson Elite is the premier brand for reactive glazes, handpainted ceramics, and whiteware. Gibson Elite offers artisan craftsmanship for everyday living
4. Lorenzo Import Victoria 57-Piece Wavy Porcelain Dinnerware
[amazon box=”B005PNHTNI” template=”horizontal”]
Complete with 57 pieces of wavy porcelain dinnerware, including six individual place settings and serving pieces. Fine enough for a formal dinner, but durable enough to use every day. Silver decorative borders adorn this set. Easy to clean with a dishwasher. A complete set of serving pieces is included.
- Each of the following is included in this set: 10.5″ dinner plate.
- Fine porcelain is durable and long-lasting
- Made in China, dishwasher safe
- Eight people will be served.
- Patterned border in silver.
5. Euro Porcelain 57-pc Banquet Dinnerware
[amazon box=”B08LP4YLB3″ template=”horizontal”]
A perfect addition to your dinnerware collection, this elegant service for 8 is simple yet elegant. You will enjoy your meals whether you are entertaining or using it every day. Euro Porcelain is an excellent addition to any dinnerware collection, whether for its aesthetic appeal or for its durability.
Dinner guests may be especially impressed by Euro Porcelain’s intricate designs even more than by the food they’re served, and they make an interesting decoration when purchased for display. Its outstanding quality and distinguished design have made Euro Porcelain a world-famous brand. It makes a memorable gift with its gift packaging. Hope you enjoy it!
- With 24 kt gold embellishments, this elegant high-end dinnerware for 8 comes in an affordable price.
- Dinner service for 8 will include dinner plates, soup plates, dessert plates, salad bowls, teacups with saucers for the tea, an oval serving platter, a teapot, a covered sugar bowl, cream and salt and pepper shakers.
- The plate has a diameter of 10.5″, a height of 8.5″, a diameter of 5.5″, a diameter of 9″, a diameter of 7.5″, a diameter of 6″, a diameter of 6″, and an oval platter is 14″W.
- Suitable for everyday use or entertaining – Dishwasher safe
- We have upgraded our packaging to prevent damage in transit
6. Pokini Reactive Glaze Dinnerware Sets
[amazon box=”B09FDXDV3K” template=”horizontal”]
An exquisite hand-reacted underglaze makes the dinnerware combination look modern, with its natural organic tones. Gold edges are electroplated on the edges, giving them a luxurious and elegant appearance. Any table setting, whether entertaining or eating on a daily basis, will benefit from our dish sets.
It’s easy to stack so you can save space in your cabinet and table, regardless of how many pieces you buy. These color Ink dinnerware sets are freezer, dishwasher, oven, and microwave safe, but they can’t be put in the microwave. They are ideal for serving ice cream, fruit, meal prep, desserts, miso soup or small cereal, bouillon, snacks, rice, nuts, appetizers, yogurt, dipping sauces, leftovers, and much more.
This product is made of healthy porcelain, fired at high temperatures, non-toxic, and safe to use. It is packaged in gift boxes. An ideal gift for housewarmings, wedding parties, mothers’ and fathers’ days, Christmas, and new year celebrations. Your items will arrive in perfect condition thanks to our secure packaging.
You can contact our professional after-sales team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for any problem you may encounter after receiving or while using.
- DESIGN BY GLAZE& GILT
- SAVE SPACE BY STACKING EVENTLY
- GIFTS OF LUXURY
- SERVICE WITH SINCERENESS
7. Lorren Home Trends Cora-57 57 Piece Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B07FKN6PC5″ template=”horizontal”]
Elegant and exquisite, this bone china set has a durable and long-lasting quality. From Lorren Home Trends’ la Luna collection, the Cora pattern features a subtle floral motif with gold trim. Delicate large and small floral patterns on high-quality bone china.
Set includes: 8-10.5″ dinner plates, 8-8.5″ soup Bowl(holds 10 ounces), 8-7.5″ salad/bread and butter dishes, 8-8 Ounce Cups 5″x4″x2.25″, saucers, 8-5.5″ fruit or dessert bowls, 1-14″ oval platter, 1-9″ serving bowl, 1-Salt and pepper set 4″, teapot with lid holds 48 ounces and measures 10.5″ x 5″ x 9″, creamer 5″ x 3″ X4.5″, and 1-Sugar bowl with lid 7″ x 4″ x 5″. hand wash recommended. The oven is safe to 350 degrees.
- With its durable quality and delicate design, this bone china set is truly elegant
- Lorren Home Trends is a brand of Lorren Home
- Made in China
8. Stone Lain Modern Gold Splash Exquisite Fine China Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B0885NNT7B” template=”horizontal”]
Includes 8 complete place settings in the Stone Lain 32 Piece Porcelain Gold Splash White Round Dinnerware Set. A stunning splash of gold accentuates the elegant porcelain tableware settings. The design reflects modern art and downtown vibes. Eight large round dinner plates, eight classy round salad plates, eight deep bowls, and eight rounded 12 oz. cups are included. Cups included.
Expertly crafted and beautifully designed, these home essentials will enhance your home. Easy to clean and durable, these home essentials are dishwasher safe. This stylish design goes well with both formal and casual cutlery, and also with your favorite glassware and tablecloth. Make every event special with Stone Lain dinnerware. Make your dreams come true with Stone Lain.
There is a sense of modern art in the low-lying mugs, bowls, and plates. Suitable for formal or informal dining. Combines well with glassware and cutlery. Materials of high quality and durability. Dishes can all be washed in the dishwasher. Despite the gold finish, this set cannot be microwaved due to the materials used.
A complete set of round dinnerware makes a wonderful housewarming gift. The perfect gift for newlyweds, new homeowners, and new beginnings. You deserve the best black dish sets and kitchen plates. Your kitchen and dining room will be complete with these plates, bowls, and mugs. Fashionable and modern, it goes well with any cutlery, glassware, and tablecloth you choose.
- A sleek white porcelain dinnerware set with gold accents. Includes eight-round dinner plates, eight salad plates, eight bowls, and eight mugs
- 8 complete sets of Round Gold are perfect for entertaining family and friends. These modern white plates feature gold accents. Wow, your guests with these gorgeous dishes. They’re the perfect kitchen essentials.
- 4.5″ bowls, 10.5″ dinner plates, 8.25″ salad plates, and 12 oz. mugs make up this elegant 32 piece dish set. Dishware.
- Round porcelain body expertly crafted from porcelain. Gold and white splashes. A modern and sleek round shape with a low, flat profile.
- Durable, high-quality materials are used in dishwashers. All the dishes are dishwasher safe.
9. Euro Porcelain Vintage Gold 60 piece Dinnerware Dish Serving Set
[amazon box=”B095X9SRHS” template=”horizontal”]
Euro Porcelain is an excellent choice for one’s dinnerware cabinet, whether they purchase it for its collectibility or for its practical durability. They make an unusual decoration when purchased for display only, and their intricate designs may impress guests even more than the food served on them.
The eloquent design and exceptional quality of Royalty Porcelain are legendary. Available in gift packaging, it makes a memorable present.
- Dinnerware set with Greek pattern, for 12 people
- With 24K gold accents, HQ white porcelain
- Suitable for everyday use or entertaining – Dishwasher safe
- There are 12 dinner plates, 12 soup bowls, 12 dessert plates, and 12 teacups with saucers included in this set
- Including 10.5″ Dinner Plate, 7.5″ Dessert Plate, 8.5″ Soup Bowl, Cup 3″H x 3″W, 6 oz Capacity, 6″ Saucer
10. HomeVss, Bone China Square Shape, Elegance White 51pc Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B08R6T1HWL” template=”horizontal”]
- White Bone China Dinnerware with Elegance Square Shape Design Make your Dinner Table Elegant, Stable, Artisan, Comfortable and Attractive
- Durable: Made of the highest quality Longyan Clay mixed with bull bone, glazed with a special glaze, and twice fired in a long tunnel kiln at a temperature of 1000 degrees to 1200 degrees for over 20 hours.
- It’s easy to handle: Chip-Resistant, Lightweight, Dishwasher Safe, Microwave Safe, Directly from Freezer to Oven to Table, and Dishwasher Safe
- There are more compositions and items available: 16 compositions
11. Porlien Checker Pattern 20-piece Round Dinnerware Set for 4
[amazon box=”B08GFYTJNM” template=”horizontal”]
This classic black and white set features a checkerboard pattern in a round shape, which adds a touch of style to any home. This is an ideal dinnerware set for gift giving on Thanksgiving, Christmas, housewarmings, and other special occasions. You can create a special food presentation for any table with the classic black and white color and round shape that never goes out of style.
Includes 4 sets each of eleven eleven-inch dinner plates, eight eight-inch soup plates, seven seven-inch dessert plates, twenty-ounce cereal/soup bowls, and 3.7-inch dipping saucers.
Plates and bowls are stackable and save space, as well as looking lovely on your cabinet.
With their smooth glaze, these plates and bowls are made of high-quality bone china and easy to clean. It’s easier to hold and clean the plates and bowls since they’re relatively lightweight. Its light weight, however, does not compromise on durability and sturdiness.
- Bone China
- Non-toxic and lead-free
- Durable and scratch resistant
12. Mikasa Ciara 16-Piece Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B075RLWLHL” template=”horizontal”]
The crisp white body of Ciara dinnerware is embellished with whimsical swirling lines. Made of bone china. Set of 16 dinnerware pieces for four people, including each: 11-inch dinner plate, 9 inch salad Dinner plate, soup cereal bowl (25 ounces) and 13-ounce mug. These items are microwaveable, dishwasher safe, freezer safe and oven safe.
- The pieces feature whimsical swirling lines on a crisp white bone china body creating an eye-catching design
- The beautifully detailed design complements any decor and can be used for both formal and casual occasions
- This dinnerware set is oven, dishwasher, microwave, and freezer safe and also chip resistant. The pieces are made of crisp white bone china, which is oven, dishwasher, microwave, and freezer safe.
- DINNERWARE SET IS DISHWASHER AND MICROWAVE SAFE: All pieces are dishwasher and microwave safe
13. Gibson Elite Kyoto Double Bowl Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B086FMTLJJ” template=”horizontal”]
This 16-piece Gibson Kyoto dinnerware set will add elegance to your table. You will be transported to faraway lands with these beautiful and unique reactive glazes. Kyoto’s versatile set composition includes two bowls in every place setting, making it the ideal choice for bowl meals that are becoming increasingly popular.
Every place setting includes a bowl, dinner plate, and dessert plate, in addition to the bowls. Durable stoneware is used to produce this set of dinnerware which can be used in the dishwasher as well as the microwave. Get Gibson Elite dinnerware today.
- GLAZE/STONEWARE: A reactive glaze is a technique in which several colors within the glaze react together to create a glow that is dreamlike and vibrant. Each stoneware piece is unique due to the glaze’s reactive nature. Stoneware is an incredibly durable material because it is high-fired at a high temperature and is thickly built from all-natural clays. Because stoneware is made from natural clays and a high firing temperature, it is incredibly durable.
- The beautiful reactive glaze dishes are inspired by the Zen gardens of Kyoto, Japan. Two bowls make it convenient for all types of meals. With the versatile use of the dinner bowl you’ll enjoy pasta or soup whether you’re eating it hot or cold.
- The Gibson family is an industry leader in producing tabletop and houseware products from Los Angeles, California. Since our inception over 40 years ago, we’ve built a family of brands that thrive on innovating, delivering value, and providing style for consumers around the globe
- Gibson Elite is the premier brand for reactive glazes, handpainted ceramics, and whiteware. Gibson Elite offers artisan craftsmanship for everyday living
14. Gibson Home Zen Buffet Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B013ROF6GS” template=”horizontal”]
This dinnerware set features classic white round shapes with everyday elegance. This 100% natural mineral-based material is lightweight, durable, BPA-free, and heat-resistant. It is an excellent everyday material that can handle a range of uses. Gibson Overseas, Inc., based in Los Angeles, is a leading manufacturer of tabletop and housewares products.
As a family-owned business, we have built a global portfolio that thrives off our relentless commitment to style, innovation, and value for our customers across the globe. This dinnerware lends itself to any occasion due to its simplicity. Gibson Home has been offering beautiful, high quality dinnerware at an unbeatable price for more than 40 years.
Zen Buffet Round is still in homes across the country. It is made of stainless steel and can be microwaved or dishwashered.
- A DESIGN WITH EXCLUSIVENESS
- A PORCELANATE OF B-Grade
- BUSINESSES ARE OWNED BY FAMILIES
- DE ZENITH BUFFET
- INVESTIGATIONS ON CARE
15. Mikasa Holiday Traditions Dinnerware Set with Mugs
[amazon box=”B01M0B49SR” template=”horizontal”]
This is a stoneware construction. This dinnerware set includes four of each: a dinner plate that measures 10-1/2 inches in diameter, a salad plate that measures 8 inches in diameter, a cereal bowl that holds 19 ounces, and a mug that measures 10 ounces. The dinnerware is easily cleaned.
You will have an elegant and festive holiday celebration when you use Holiday Traditions. Elegantly patterned with holly and berries, this dinnerware is adorned with gold banding. This dinnerware is made of porcelain. Microwave and dishwasher safe.
The set consists of a dinner plate about 10-1/2 inches in diameter, a salad plate about 8 inches in diameter, a bread and butter plate about 7 inches in diameter, and a 12 ounce mug.
- Make your holiday celebration festive and elegant with Holiday Traditions
- An elegant dinnerware set decorated with holly and berries for a timeless look
- This porcelain vase is handcrafted
- Microwave safe, but not dishwasher safe
- There are 16 pieces in this set, each serving four people: Dinner plate with a diameter of 10-1/2 inches, Salad plate with a diameter of 8 inches, Bread and Butter plate with a diameter of 7 inches, and 12 ounce mug with a diameter of 12 ounces.
- Components include: Tabletop, Dinnerware, Dinnerware-Sets
16. Royal Albert Old Country Roses 20-Piece Dinnerware
[amazon box=”B0000C8W8Q” template=” horizontal”]
In addition to being virtually synonymous with the name Royal Albert, the Old Country Roses pattern is a testament to both timeless style and elegant craftsmanship.
Old Country Roses introduces this 20-piece place setting, which includes everything needed for a full-service dinner for four guests; it features burgundy, pink, and yellow roses accented with gold banding, on each plate, salad plate, bread and butter plate, teacup, and saucer.
- Collection of Old Country Roses by Royal Albert.
- Each setting includes three beautiful fine china plates and a cup and saucer and is enough for four guests to enjoy a full dinner service.
- Inspire by the quintessentially English country garden with blooming roses.
- Royal Albert’s Old Country Roses is its most popular pattern, and collectors love adding it to their collection.
- Beautifully glazed white bone china trimmed in 22-carat gold.
- The dish should be washed by hand and is not microwaveable.
- You can give this as a perfect gift!
17. MALACASA Square Dinnerware Sets
[amazon box=”B08X4Q6Y33″ template=”horizontal”]
This Dinnerware set includes thirty pieces of porcelain ivory white dinnerware. There are six pieces of dinner plates, six pieces of deep plates, six pieces of dessert plates, six pieces of cups, and five pieces of saucers. Beautiful and timeless dinnerware to dress up your dinner table on those special occasions, but is also suitable for every day use.
No worries about chips, cracks, nicks, or scratches with many cold & hot foods. Our outstanding dinnerware set is dishwasher-safe and microwave-safe, and it can be cleaned easily and safely. These lightweight dinnerware sets are classic porcelain. They’re perfect for every occasion.
The dinner sets feature square dishes that are layered together in a visually appealing manner. The piece complements existing dinnerware, table linen, and other decor pieces.
- Daily Life Has Many Functions
- The perfect size for a variety of foods
- All Occasions Can Be Satisfied
- Dinner sets that are useful every day in the kitchen
- An Ideal Daily Use Item
- Oven-safe & family-friendly
- Keep Healthy by Eating Safely
- The perfect gift for any kitchen style
18. Lorren Home Trends La Luna Bone China 57-Piece 24K Gold Floral Design Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B00G4BJTCO” template=”horizontal”]
With a delicate and exquisite look, this bone china set is also durable and of high quality. The Rosalia pattern by Lorren Home Trends is embossed in 24K gold on translucent bone china. It features a strong traditional floral design.
Set Includes 8-10.5″ Dinner Plates, 8-8.5″ Soup Bowl, 8-7.5″ Salad/bread and butter dishes, 8-8 Ounce Cups, 8-Saucers, 8-5.5″ Fruit or Dessert bowls, 1-14″ Oval Platter, 1-9″ Serving Bowl, 1-Salt and Pepper set, 1-Teapot with lid, 1-Creamer and 1-Sugar Bowl with lid. Dinnerware that can be washed in the dishwasher. Dishwasher safe.
- High-quality, affordable Bone China
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- This place setting includes 6 pieces for 8 people
- Bowls, platters, teapots, creamers, sugar, salt, and pepper are included
- Embossed 24K gold on elegant dinnerware
19. Stone Lain Porcelain 16 Piece Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B08DVVYW3S” template=”horizontal”]
Porcelain 16 piece dinnerware set with gold rims and dark blue rims from Stone Lain features four complete place settings. Modern tableware set featuring dark blue porcelain with gold trim. There were four large round dinner plates, four elegant round salad plates, four deep round bowls, and four rounded 12 oz. cups. Cups.
Crafted and designed with great attention to detail, these home essentials are sure to please. Easily cleaned and durable with 100% dishwasher safe. With its minimalist elegance, the design is equally at home with formal and informal cutlery, glassware, and tablecloths. With Stone Lain, every occasion is a memorable celebration. It is our pleasure to serve you at Stone Lain.
- This set of dark blue and gold dishes is perfect for entertaining friends and family. Available in dark blue and gold. These plates, bowls, and cups are elegant and regal. They are the perfect kitchen essentials.
- The elegant 16-piece set includes a dinner plate, a salad plate, a bowl, and a mug. Cups.
Porcelain – A beautifully crafted piece of dark blue porcelain. The piece is trimmed with royal gold. The piece is simple and elegant. Each meal will be enhanced by these sets.
20. Lenox 28 Piece Butterfly Meadow Classic Dinnerware Set
[amazon box=”B01A96EWN0″ template=”horizontal”]
The Lenox team strives to make the everyday moments in your life a bit more special. We can bring a rich history of craftsmanship to modern-day life by drawing inspiration from the heritage and designing for now. Our company has been part of homes for over 130 years. Our commitment to quality, artistry, and beauty has distinguished Lenox for more than a century.
Whatever you’re doing, whether you’re gathered together for dinner with the family, snacking on a midnight snack in front of the TV or entertaining friends, Lenox is for real moments that last on products that are designed to last. The Butterfly Meadow Dinnerware Set features butterflies, dragonflies, and bumblebees exploring vibrant flowers.
The scalloped edges of this trademark design are made of durable white ceramic porcelain. This mix-and-match classic delivers outstanding performance from freezer to oven to table. Microwave and dishwasher-safe, this 28-piece set is a great addition to the dinnerware collection.
- The craftsmanship of the highest standard
- Program for replacement of broken items
- Microwave and dishwasher safe
- This item is made of white porcelain
- Safe for dishwashers
- Safe for microwaves
How Many Dishes Do I Need?
It is most common to find either four-piece or five-piece place settings. In casual settings, a four-piece setting generally consists of a dinner plate, salad or dessert plate, soup bowl, and mug, whereas in formal settings, a five-piece setting typically consists of a dinner plate, salad or dessert plate, bread plate, and a cup and saucer.
Are you not so keen on having a stack of bread plates? As part of our open stock program, you can purchase individual pieces from certain sets that you know you will use.
It’s a good idea to start out with six to eight place settings as a couple for everyday dinnerware. The benefit is that you’ll be able to rotate plates while others are in the dishwasher and if you’re entertaining, you’ll have enough settings for a few guests. We recommend registering for eight to 12 settings of formal china, which is sufficient for dinner parties and gatherings during the holidays.
What Are The Best Types Of Ceramics For Plates?
Earthenware, stoneware, porcelain/china, and bone china are the four main ceramic types used in dishes. There are several characteristics that make each uniquely suited to a specific type of use.
Known for its thick, rustic appearance and feel, earthenware is a glazed and fired ceramic. Handpainted plates are often made from earthenware. Dinner plates made from this type of ceramic are typically the least expensive but are not as durable or strong as others. Furthermore, they are prone to staining and chipping. It is best to check the manufacturer’s recommendations first before putting earthenware in the dishwasher or microwave.
Casual, everyday dinnerware is typically made of stoneware. In addition to being durable, earthenware is also versatile, easy to maintain, and can be used in the microwave, dishwasher, oven, and freezer (although it’s a good idea to check with the manufacturer for recommendations). A few finishes to choose from, including shiny, satin, and matte, make it a superior material to porcelain and bone china.
- Porcelain or china
Porcelain and china are made of fine particles of clay, which are thin, delicate, and almost transparent. Featuring kaolin, feldspar, and quartz that is fired at a high temperature, this material is extremely durable and allows the plate to incorporate shaped details. In addition to their fine appearance, porcelain and china are well suited to formal entertaining, as well as being a good everyday choice.
- Bone china
In terms of durability and chip resistance, bone china is the best ceramic. With the addition of bone ash, it has the same composition as porcelain, but is thinner, lighter, and more transparent than porcelain. The color of ceramic is often warmer than the color of porcelain, which is generally a brighter white.
What To Look For When Buying Dinnerware
Dinnerware is largely made of ceramic, but the types (and quality) of ceramic can vary greatly. There are plenty of dinnerware sets available today that are called “china,” which is the same thing as porcelain, as opposed to “silverware,” which has become a generic term for all flatware, regardless of material.
The term porcelain comes from China, where porcelain was invented. Clay has been heated to a high temperature and fired to produce porcelain, which is white and shiny.
You can buy cheap porcelain dinnerware at big-box stores for less than fine china. We often think of fine china as wedding-session plates in a chosen pattern. In early 1800s, England invented a process that mixed bone into porcelain to make “bone china”. The material is lighter and has a translucent appearance.
In the past, porcelain was considered to be more durable, but as porcelain manufacturing has changed, the differences in durability have become increasingly inconsequential.
Today, the choice depends more on personal preference. Traditional views view earthenware as being even less expensive than stoneware since it is made of clay and has a porous surface. However, earthenware sets can cost just as much because it’s less durable; they’re often handmade and have a rugged, handmade feel.
The evolution of modern production techniques has changed how we view what is better and what is worse. Other materials, like enamel and glass, are also available, but they’re less popular because they’re more difficult to maintain and more likely to chip. The payoff of making a statement, however, is worth it for some people.
A cheap plastic plate may seem like a good budget option, but it is susceptible to warping and staining. Outdoor dining or families with small children can benefit from Melamine, a lightweight, non-porous plastic. Guests may mistake melamine for china until they pick it up because many of the offerings are so good now.
In addition to ceramic dinnerware, stoneware is also common. Stoneware is typically heavier and more opaque than porcelain since it is made from fired clay-like porcelain. Stoneware can be glazed in matte or shiny finishes, even though it doesn’t have the lustrous shine of porcelain. As opposed to porcelain, which is non-porous, it can be slightly porous.
However, this doesn’t mean it’s cheap just because it’s more commonly seen as an everyday substitute for porcelain. However, you can also find long-lasting, durable stoneware sets at low prices.
There are usually four pieces to a dinnerware set: two plates, a bowl, and a mug. It is possible to find larger settings with even more plates, but they are rare, typically found in high-end settings, and they usually include things like teacups, bread plates, and chargers. Four-piece settings, however, are sufficient for the majority of us. In addition to purchasing individual place settings, dinnerware sets can also be purchased in 16 or 4-piece sets.
There may be options to purchase individual parts of the set individually (such as six bowls) or in sets of their own (such as six plates). Open stock can be a great option, especially if you want protection against dropped plates or wish to expand the set as your family grows or moves.
Although materials can give you some idea of what the dinnerware will look like, there can be some variation from one piece to another. These days, porcelain has a more natural, handmade feel to it, and stoneware has delicate details. White is a common color in all dinnerware, regardless of the material, and it provides a great deal of flexibility and makes food look appetizing (some foods will not look good on certain colors).
Dinnerware with simple designs can also be found, either designed into the dinnerware or added later with paint or glaze. You can still find many subtle embellishments that make your set unique even if you want to stay safe with the color.
A rim is traditionally found on most fine china. Edgeless plates, on the other hand, tend to have a more modern feel. As well as playing with shapes, some designers use square plates instead of round ones to update dinnerware.
Small changes in design, such as the depth of a bowl or the size of a mug’s handle, can make a big difference in your day. Your ideal mug will reflect your preference for large cups of coffee (or just the occasional cup of chamomile tea). It is possible to find soup bowls that range from large bowls with a lot of depth to traditional shallow bowls.
The most versatile bowl is likely to be a deeper, cereal-style bowl, or an option between the two. You should also look for coordinating pieces like platters, serving bowls, or gravy boats in the dinnerware set. It’s up to you if this is important, but if you want a clean, unified look on your table, you should know your options.
Dinnerware varies widely in price. Porcelain can be found at Target for under $5, or you can register for a set that costs thousands of dollars. However, you can find a very good set for around $50. Just a little higher price point, to the $75 to $100 range, can get you a set that will last you a lifetime. A handmade piece, or fine china, is more likely to go up in price quickly.
Easy care and easy use should be the hallmarks of a dinnerware set designed for everyday use. While most materials, including porcelain and stoneware, can be microwaved and dishwashered, it isn’t a universal rule. Check the care instructions before you buy. For example, handmade items may not hold up to the dishwasher, and gold detailing on fine china may not be microwave safe.
You can let it soak or let coffee linger in your mug without worrying that it’ll stain if you can avoid chipping porcelain: It’s non-porous, so you can let coffee sit in your mug without worrying. Stains aren’t likely to happen often with stoneware, but they can. As a general rule, stoneware shouldn’t be soaked, and baking soda can be used to remove tough stains or scuffs.
It doesn’t matter what material you use, a soft sponge (not a scouring sponge) should be used to clean it if you skipped the dishwasher. Surfaces with glossy or enameled surfaces can be scratched by wire sponges.
Frequently Asked Questions For Best China Dinnerware
Q: What comes in a typical dinnerware set?
Ans: There are at least one or two other pieces of dinnerware in a basic dinnerware set. There is a salad plate and/or a coffee mug included as additional pieces. In some sets, there are two bowls: a pasta bowl and a cereal bowl. There is a standard number of dinnerware sets that serve four or more people, but most serve at least three people.
Q: What is the most durable dinnerware?
Ans: Bone china is the most durable dinnerware, even though you might not expect it. Bone china is chip-resistant and microwaveable, dishwasher-safe, and oven-safe due to its high-heat firing. Melamine-based plates are largely indestructible when dropped but sometimes cannot be microwaved if you’re concerned about them breaking.
Q: What is open stock dinnerware?
Ans: Generally, open stock dinnerware consists of individual pieces. If you need to fill in your dinnerware set when a piece goes missing or if you wish to assemble a collection that differs from the pre-selected set, open stock dinnerware can be useful. If you’re interested in expanding your dining collection, you may be able to buy other coordinating dinnerware and serveware items that are not included in a set.
Q: Why Trust The Spruce Eats?
Ans: Madeleine Burry originally compiled this collection. The Spruce, The Spruce Eats, Women’s Health, Good Housekeeping, and other major publications have published Madeleine’s health and wellness writing.
Even though our favorite set of china is Wedgwood by Jasper Conran, it’s a matter of personal taste and needs. This versatile set serves up an elegant look on every occasion, whether it’s a formal gathering or an everyday gathering.
If you’re looking for china that is both elegant and iconic, the Royal Copenhagen Blue Fluted Plain Porcelain Dinnerware is striking, ornate, and has a strong history. Looking for a pop of color? Its bright colors without being overstated are all a part of the Coralina collection by Oscar de la Renta.